Monday, April 25, 2011

What A Huge Record Player




They say you can tell the size of a man's (insert word) by the size of his turntable. They might have said that at one point, back in the early 1900's, when the Victor Victrola adorned living rooms and provided families with endless entertainment. Not only is the player big, but his needle compares nicely to that of a nail and his sound- well- that would be comparable to the cries of a whale. Muffled turns to nostalgic. Nostalgic turns to home. Home turns to serenity. I'm feelin' ya Victor.
I had the pleasure of being able to go to the making of the "Made In Aurora" album seminar, at Backthird Audio, in down town Aurora. It was a nice turnout, with guests from the music industry and art scene, who were interested in the "behind the scenes" look at how a record moves towards completion. Why was I there? First of all, I cannot strum a chord to save Arlo Guthrie's life. I love music, and I especially love the fact that I was able, for once in my life, to get into a studio and see all of the bells and whistles that contribute to product. I was especially drawn to the studio's record player. I have no clue what components it had for playing or what it could do for my Lulu album but I know for a fact it could drive a truck. It was pretty and it was lit up like a UFO and it was not cheap. It's what I expected to be in this beautiful space.
If local musicians are interested in recording, being part of a music guild, songwriting conferences and events- Backthird Audio is a fantastic space. Very warm and cozy. If one is particularly interested in arm wrestling, contact Victor.

Note: Two photos of two turntables to turn to. One is the Victor Victrola. Photo taken at my aunt and uncle's house. Not sure of model or make and the other, a Stanton digital, STR8-156. Photo taken at Backthird Audio.

No comments:

Post a Comment