Saturday, April 9, 2011

What's Your Name Little Girl?


I wanted to clarify a few things about my intentions with this blog. This may help with organization and guide me through this arduous process I am about to attempt. I know there are plenty of vinyl and music blogs out there. I have a few Face Book friends who do have music blogs. At a later date, I hope for permission to add their links to a future post. These are pretty extensive blogs. I admit, I've been out of the music loop. I cannot tell you who half of the listed bands are. I did ask one of the writers, "How do you find all of this music?", to which he replied, "Lots of research!" I will be doing research as I go, collecting more records, and possibly setting something up with a few enthusiasts for a "record trading day." I will get more into that later.
How did I get the blog's name? I was reading the newest issue of Rolling Stone Magazine and came across a photograph of musician Jack White playing guitar in front of what appeared to be a yellow bus. The bus happened to be his travelling record store called "Third Man Rolling Record Store." In it was gold. Hot truck, melting vinyl, screaming kids and eyes cream.
Now, why on earth does a thirty- something year old stay at home mom, think she can wing a record blog? I don't know if I can, but I will try. It's what I am passionate about. It's in my memory. There's a rebirth of the record, of the album. Music on vinyl. The once upon a time thrill of having a few bucks in my pocket, age 19, shuffling sticky fingers through old dirty bins filled with strange faces and strange places. The color in the cover of Zappa's "Hot Rats" and the ever sophisticated head shot of Funkadelic's "Maggot Brain." The feeling of striking it rich with a rarity and holding it up like a new baby all the while saying "It's mine, it's mine!" Those are my memories.
For more infomation on Jack White's record store, visit www.thirdmanrecords.com

No comments:

Post a Comment